Why I'm no longer a cat person

Growing up, I didn't have a lot of pets. My parents told me we had a cat but I was too young to remember. The earliest pet I remember having was a rabbit named Oliver (and we didn't have him long thanks to his passion for both electrical cords and chewing things). I never liked dogs. Truth be told, I was scared of them as a kid. They were usually bigger dogs and who were trained to play a bit rougher than I was ready for. To top it off, most of the little dogs I met were simply assholes. Hell, I still haven't met a yorkie that isn't a giant dick for such a small creature. Because of all this, I've always considered myself a cat person. Yes, Cats are assholes too but they're easy to take care of, independent and can be fun to play with (when THEY want to play that is).

Well, that has all changed since my fiancee and I recently adopted a Pug. He's been amazing. He's the first small dog I met that didn't love only one person. He loves everyone he meets and he's honestly the sweetest dog I've ever known. His name is Wayne, he's 7 years old and he's a little overweight at nearly 30lbs.




When I first started looking at getting a dog, I looked at the cost of the pet fee (as per our landlord), the adoption fee of the dog itself, supplies for the dog (food, water and food bowls, leash, harness, bed, toys, etc.). All told, our dog cost us about $900 after all of these fees. 

Before we got Wayne, I looked at it as an expense and almost didn't do it. However, after having him for only a couple days I knew that I couldn't put a dollar amount on having a dog. 

A dog isn't something you buy. It's not an accessory for your house or a toy you can put away and pull out when you want. A dog is a member if your family and you're responsible for it. It's a best friend. It's a celebration every time you walk through the door. It's having a true companion. 


One of the things we love about Wayne is that he's just like us. If you want to play, he's ready to play. If you just want to sit all day and watch Netflix, he's good for that too. He won't leave your lap until you're ready to get up. 

I could talk about Wayne and how he is about all kinds of things but I'm already probably boring you. I've had dogs before but I've never enjoyed a dog as much as I've enjoyed having Wayne. Now if only I could get my landlord to give the green-light on another pug....








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing CentOS 7 on a Raspberry Pi 3

Modifying the Zebra F-701 & F-402 pens

How to fix DPM Auto-Protection failures of SQL servers