Long Live the IKEA Galant

IKEA has discontinued the Galant. I know, by now, nearly a year after the new first broke, it's hardly news. I only learned of it's demise recently. My wife has added quilting to her crafting repitoire so to keep her from taking over our living room, I had to relinquish control of my office (which we call the Manitorium) and actually share. Our original idea was to get one huge Galant L-shaped desk and share the big desk but after seeing that it's been discontinued with no successor as configurable, we've made the plans to just get separate desks. I already have a nice Galant desk, which I get to keep, and she wants to get the Kallax shelf unit with the Linnmon desk add-on.

The point of this post isn't to talk about how I'm sharing my office with my crafty wife. I wanted to provide some explanation for anybody just coming across the Galant-is-dead news for themselves. IKEA discontinued the Galant desks but not the other office storage add-ons. In case you just wanted a Galant filing cabinet, you're still safe. In place of the Galant desks, IKEA is pushing the Bekant. While not as configurable as the Galant since there's no extensions available, the Bekant does offer a motorized sit/stand frame. This is huge as standing desks are becoming ever more popular and this is IKEA's first stock option for such a thing that I'm aware of. Prior to that, the only standing desks I've seen from IKEA were on IKEAhackers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing CentOS 7 on a Raspberry Pi 3

Modifying the Zebra F-701 & F-402 pens

How to fix DPM Auto-Protection failures of SQL servers