How to leave a SysAdmin Job

It's with great excitement that I get to write here to let you (my one and only reader, Gary) know that I've put in my 2 weeks with my current employer and have accepted an offer for a new job, which I'll be starting soon. This isn't a post about trashing my current employer, nor is it a post for generic quitting-your-job advice (don't make a scene, be professional, actually work during your notice period, etc.) This post is about how to best transition your position for the next guy or gal, something I had a hard time digging up info on.

My first thought is "What would I want to see my first day on the job?" Obviously, I can't prepare my replacement for everything but good documentation is the next best thing one can leave behind. Here's a list of the documentation items you should leave for your replacement.
  • List of Projects - That list of projects you have in the Tasks section of Outlook? Yeah, those todos aren't going anywhere. Make a list of them, their context (Why is this a thing?), their status (How done are they?) and any other pertinent details they may require. 
  • List of Responsibilities - I wear a number of hats in my current role. VMware, Cisco UCS, HP Storage, Backups, Windows Server, InformaCast, Digital Signage, UPSs, the Datacenters, etc. List out what you'd do. I'd also suggest to have all pertinent documentation on your responsibilities sufficiently up to date. 
  • List of Contacts - This should include who they are, what company they work for, why you contact them and what projects they fit into. 
  • Anatomy of the Environment - I think that this should be a part of the documentation anyway but having a high-level document explaining how the environment runs, if possible, could go a long way to bringing a new employee up to speed. What better time to start working on this than the current?
I'm also leaving a small joke for my replacement. As with most jokes, the origins are hard to determine but it goes something like THIS, but modified for SysAdmins (which only requires a few tweaks to the details to work). In my desk drawer are 3 numbered envelopes. 

Lastly, I'm leaving my contact information (email address, not phone number). There's a limit to how far you should let this go though. I don't mind answering a few questions, or even meeting for lunch. My tribal knowledge can be had for a mere 2 Spicy Chicken Sandwiches from Chic Fil A. But, I'm definitely not going to do any work for the company I left and am no longer being paid from. If it gets to be too much then you can always steer them to the people you believe would know that info. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing CentOS 7 on a Raspberry Pi 3

Modifying the Zebra F-701 & F-402 pens

How to fix DPM Auto-Protection failures of SQL servers