EDC Upgrade Part 1: Dash Wallet 2.0 Review

As a kid, I remember admiring my dad's wallet. It practically told a story in its appearance. It was filled with cards for various things, receipts and notes, money and checks. A man's entire life had to fit in a piece of leather. I was amazed and enthralled with it. (I can't explain it but I loved old cards, wallets, keys and other small things adults carry on their person for various reasons. As kids we can't wait to grow up and once you're grown, you can't help but think how simple life was as a kid.)

I've had my same basic bi-fold leather wallet for over 17 years. As an adult, I too got to start putting things in my wallet. Child me would've loved it. Like Xbox achievements, I'd unlocked "first paycheck" or "driver's license". My wallet never got as full as my fathers or told a story but it certainly developed its own patina and signs of fatigue. The leather, started to chip on one side, the stitching began to fray, etc. I could've kept it another 10 years or so if I wanted to but my wife & friends convinced me to upgrade. 

I didn't really know what I was looking for in a wallet. I'm a front-pocket carrier when it comes to anything that isn't change or receipts so it couldn't be too bulky. I carry an RFID card as a spare to get into work so it couldn't be RFID-blocking, which seems to be popular. I also wanted something unique and minimal without being too barebones (like a money clip). That's when I found the Dash Wallet


If you read up on it, it was designed by a designer by the name of Elliot Havock after his dog, Dash, destroyed his wallet. I looked at a few other contenders. I looked at high-quality traditional wallets such as the Bellroy Note Sleeve (which was my runner-up, despite the price), the BMF wallet, and even the Mighty Wallet, which features a traditional bi-fold or tri-fold design using lightweight Tyvek (the stuff they wrap houses in under the siding). The Dash wallet stood out to me though. It's utilitarian vibe and simple construction appealed to me enough that I finally bought it on Amazon for about $17

The Dash Wallet is a lot smaller than you imagine. The videos don't really do it justice. At least, for me, my wife and I were surprised at just how small it is. It's enough to fit more than enough cards, cash, and a few other small items. It comes in two varieties; Vertical or Horizontal. The dimensions between the two are the same but the openings for the pockets is going to change. The materials remain the same between the varieties as well. Below is a picture of the horizontal Dash Wallet 2.0 with my Zebra F-701 pen (a normal size pen) for a size comparison. 


I got the horizontal. Let's take a look at it. You load your cards in from the top on the back pocket. It's elastic so it can hold anywhere from a couple cards to a dozen or so. The front pocket is for your most-used card and features a quick-access thumb hole so you can push your card out. On the bottom is another pocket, nestled between the two top compartments. You can stow cash (folded in quarters), receipts or whatever else in here between the quick-access pocket and the pocket for the rest of your cards. It's a very cool design that allows you to keep the things you need without any of the bloat you get with a traditional wallet.




I fit about 10 cards in total without issue. Some card stock, some plastic, one RFID. All fit fine. It's so small in my pocket that I forget I have it in there sometimes.





My gripes are that only the front is leather. I understand why this is the case though so I don't find it too much of a con. My only REAL gripe is that on the wallet I received, there's excess fabric in the quick-access pocket that keeps me from being able to slide the card back in with a similar one-thumb motion that brought the card out. It takes two hands and a certain lifting motion on the card in the pocket to get it back in right. If I turn the wallet inside out, you can see the excess fabric below.


I've reached out to the company and they are sending me a new one as they believe that this issue is a defect of the original wallet I received. I'll update this review when I receive the replacement. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing CentOS 7 on a Raspberry Pi 3

Modifying the Zebra F-701 & F-402 pens

How to fix DPM Auto-Protection failures of SQL servers