EDC Upgrade Part 2: KeySmart 2.0 Review

I've always carried my keys on my belt-loop via a cheap carabiner (you know, the ones that are stamped with "not for climbing" on them just in case). It was easy and it worked. However, I work in a rather quiet office and everyone knew whenever I moved thanks to my keys jingling. Pocket carrying keys with out a key ring is a recipe for lost key disaster and pocket carrying them with a key ring is a recipe for pocket tearing or leg stabbing disaster. What's one to do?



That's where the KeySmart 2.0 comes into play. It organizes your keys similar to that of a Leatherman (or any other) multi tool. You've got 2 posts that the keys swivel on and they fold into the body. The posts are small (like motherboard stand-offs if you've ever built a computer) and made out of stainless steel. The body is made out of aluminum, anodized in a variety of colors and is made here in the US (Chicago, IL to be specific). They also have a titanium edition if you want something sexier than anodized aluminum (I really like the titanium version but not enough to justify the 150% price hike from the usual MSRP of approximately $20). It comes in 2 lengths, the larger of the two being marketed to those who have longer keys (like international keys. Because I guess keys are bigger everywhere else in the world aside from America).



The KeySmart doesn't come with any instructions but it's so simple that I don't personally think that any specific instructions are necessary. Everyone's different though. By default it only fits 4 keys total and fitting more keys will require extensions that make the unit a little wider with the benefit of holding more keys. Without the extensions, it's slightly thicker than a couple sticks of gum. It also comes with a small steel loop you (so you can attach other things to it like a car-fob) and the loop counts as a key, in regards to space in the KeySmart. I got the 2-10 key extension kit (any kit just comes with the extension posts and Teflon washers to put between the keys or to act as spacers). I fit 4 keys, the loop, and I could comfortably add 2 or 3 more keys if I needed to. The rest of my keys are non-standard sizes so they won't fit in the unit properly (like my Honda motorcycle key, or the APC rack key for our server racks). I also part-time carry the fob to my 2011 Ford Escape. For the keys I don't carry every day, use a small carabiner to attach the non-regular keys (like work keys I only need on occasion or car fobs) as shown below.





So far, I'm really happy with it. I wanted to organize my keys and make it easier for pocket carry. The KeySmart 2.0 accomplished that. I haven't had to tighten it regularly, nor do I feel like the the hardware is going to break (like other reviewers have mentioned in their cases). I recommend checking it out if you're interested. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing CentOS 7 on a Raspberry Pi 3

Modifying the Zebra F-701 & F-402 pens

How to fix DPM Auto-Protection failures of SQL servers