FLIRC Gen 2 Raspberry Pi Case Review

When I bought my first RPi, I bought a kit that included a cheap clear case. It works but I wanted something nicer looking for sitting on my TV stand in my living room. It was love at first sight for the FLIRC case. I'd like to talk about it below.

Firstly, it looks the business! I love the look and it feels premium for the price. The top and bottom are a very smooth plastic (almost feels rubber coated), while the side is one piece of aluminum. I was too impatient to get a pic of the inside, but the inside features a square aluminum hump that's built into the case that's designed to absorb heat from the CPU via a provided thermal pad. So, the case is also a heatsink!



My initial thought was that the aluminum would impact the wifi connectivity of the Pi, but so far, the wifi connection has been solid through updates and  ROM dumps.

For temperatures, My idle temps seem to be around 48C while the hottest I've seen it bet have been around 60C. All temps were recorded using the RetroPie Manager.

The packaging the case comes in is decent. Nothing particularly exciting there.

 

Installation is simple and the case looks great IMO. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing CentOS 7 on a Raspberry Pi 3

Modifying the Zebra F-701 & F-402 pens

How to fix DPM Auto-Protection failures of SQL servers