A Job Interview: Tips and Tricks

I'll start by saying that I'm no expert at job interviews. I'm not an HR person, never interviewed someone myself, nor can I recall those daunting, double-edged questions that interviewers tend to ask. However, I did just go through an interview and got the job. Come to think of it, I've gotten almost every job I've ever interviewed for. I'd say that's a decent track record. Below, is my advice and general tips for an interview.


Dress Well

Don't dress like a slob. If you're going for any kind of professional job, slacks, dress shoes, dress shirt and coordinating tie is the minimum. Even if the normal work attire for the company isn't formal dressing up puts a better foot forward. (NOTE: For shoes, make sure they're shined and clean. One can learn a lot about a man by their shoes. I was able to clean my normal black dress shoes with some Armor All wipes my girlfriend had in the trunk of her car. For women, I've heard that closed toe shoes are the norm for being formal but I'm not sure on that, not being a woman and all.) How dressy you are depends on the job you're applying for. If you're applying at McDonalds then they'll probably be a little less lax about your shoes (casual dress vs formal dress shoes) and other small details. You may not need a tie, etc. For all of my job interviews, I've always worn a jacket short of a suit. Dress shirt, tie, slacks, nice shoes. And for God's sake, don't wear white socks with your dark slacks and dark shoes. They will show and it's a huge fashion no-no.

Speak Clearly and Keep Conversation Light

This doesn't mean be loud. This means using proper sentence structure, good grammar, etc. Don't talk as though you're talking to your friends. If you do it right, you're talking to your future bosses (and maybe even their bosses), so talk like you're educated (especially when you're not). However, that's not to say that you can't keep things light and be personable. One of the questions they asked me is if I can get to work without issue. As a motorcycle and bicycle commuter, I explained that I can certainly get to work but that I may be wet occasionally and would bring a suitable change of clothes to cope with such things. This sparked chuckles around the table and interest as one of them asked me what motorcycle, etc. (Once a rider, always a rider).


Don't Lie

The worst thing you can do in an interview is lie. Not only will you be far less likely to get the job but you'll appear a fool in the process. If you don't know something, be honest about it but explain that you want to learn it and how excited you are about the opportunity to do so.


Play on Your Strengths

For me, my only option has been to play on my strengths. I don't have any college under my belt yet and a string of retail/service jobs in my job history. When I first broke into an IT position, the only "professional" experience I had was a mix of fast-food joints and grocery stores; Things that never really stand out to someone looking for a good IT worker. However, I had been fixing and working with computers as a hobby since I was 15, even had my own small business doing on-site computer repair, did volunteer work for the county health department and demonstrated a genuine love for computers and technology. I was a fast learner, a good teacher, could always come up with an analogy to explain things, and always had a genuine desire to help. Keep focus on your strengths. This is pretty much your only play if you're trying to break into a new career.

Believe

You have to believe that you can do the job you're being interviewed for. If you don't believe it, any HR person worth their salt won't believe it either. You have to project confidence in your abilities. When I was in my recent interview, they were asking me about technologies I've never even used before, which the position called for administrating. I just answered their questions like I was a boss. If you're familiar with Lonely Island and their SNL Digital Short "Like A Boss", just think like that. Answered questions (like a boss). Sat in a chair (like a boss). Shook the interviewer's hands (like a boss). You get the point.

Lastly, this should go without stating but while you should be formal and polite, you should also be yourself. Don't act like something you're not. Be yourself but save some of the crazy until after you've got the job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing CentOS 7 on a Raspberry Pi 3

Modifying the Zebra F-701 & F-402 pens

How to fix DPM Auto-Protection failures of SQL servers