Close friends, computers and how important just being there can be

About 2 and a half years ago, I went through a really rough breakup with my, now, ex-fiance. We'd recently moved across the country together, became engaged a couple months before that, and had been together for nearly 3 years. Well, seemingly out of the blue, she had a change of heart. I get it. It happens. We're always changing and the unfortunate truth is that couples don't always change together. One of the things I look back on is what got me through such a tough ordeal; My friends. One of them was a mutual friend named Jeremy who took my side in the break up (I joke that I got him in the divorce), and the other I met a little later on in my dating adventures. I got friend-zoned but it was for the best and Heather is now one of my best friends. Now, these friends of mine aren't miracle workers or anything. They aren't psychiatrists, therapists, or anything of the sort. They're just normal young adults. They helped me get through a very tough time in my life by simply being there. What does this have to do with computers you might wonder? Sometimes, just being there helps.



One of the things I've noticed in my years with computers, especially at work, is that my mere presence seems to fix the issue. Could I have become some sort of Support God in just a few short years or professional IT? Doubtful, but more and more often, someone will come get me in my office saying that their computer is "acting up", a printer is jammed, you get the idea. As soon as I walk with them back to their office, the issue is magically solved.

Today, someone at the office who's making a ton of copies came to tell me that the printer is jamming every other print job. I go down there and the printer looks fine. I ask her to make another copy. She selects her settings, puts in the papers she wants copied, presses the large green "Start" button. The job went through like a champ. I had her do another job. Then 5 more. Not one issue.

The day before, a user called me to their office because their computer "just died". I get there and it's unresponsive for about 3 seconds, then it's fine. I did some investigating but didn't find out what was running to cause the computer to appear unresponsive. I guess I'll just chalk that one up to the universe telling me that I'm supposed to be working with computers.

What I'm getting at is that it seems like sometimes, just the presence of an IT person can fix a computer problem. I've lost track of how many times I've had the girlfriend call me over to see why the WiFi isn't working only to have it begin working as soon as I touch the computer. I can't be the first but figured I'd share my thought on it anyway.

Now, this won't fix everything. For any other kinds of problems, you'll need to ask questions, get more information (trust end-users with a very large grain of salt), ask more questions, have a general understanding of how the given system works that's experiencing the problem, and apply your own critical thinking skills. You know; The thing you were likely hired to do. Whether your friend or loved one is going through a rough time or your computer can't print, sometimes, simply being there helps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing CentOS 7 on a Raspberry Pi 3

Modifying the Zebra F-701 & F-402 pens

How to fix DPM Auto-Protection failures of SQL servers